The NASA Scientific and Technical Information (STI) Program was established to support the objectives of NASA’s missions and research. The STI Program:
- Supports the advancement of aerospace knowledge
- Contributes to U.S. competitiveness in aerospace research and development
- Helps NASA avoid duplication of research by sharing information
- Ensures that the U.S. maintains its preeminence in aerospace-related industries and education
- Acquires, processes, archives, announces, and disseminates NASA STI
- Acquires worldwide STI of critical importance to NASA and the Nation
The STI Program is a critical component in the worldwide activity of scientific and technical aerospace research and development. Collected from U.S. and international sources, STI is organized according to content prior to being added to the STI Repository (NTRS). The STI Repository is a world-class collection of STI that includes over a million bibliographic records and full-text documents.